Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Scituate Light


Okay, so with almost no humidity in the air and bright blue skies above, the light was a must see. The Scituate Light was built in 1810 and manned by two women during the war of 1812.  The Bates Sisters kept British shore parties at bay by beating on drums and burning huge fires on the breakwater. They were known as the army of two and their bravery is celebrated still today. Like so many still active aids to navigation, the house where the keeps once stayed is now private property but the grounds around the house are not. We walked the manmade jetties looking for just the right angle to capture a beautiful piece of New England history.  It was the navigational help I got from Verizon that left us wanting today. Thank goodness, my phone knew where we were because I didn’t. The sun high overhead caused the lighting to be a bit on the harsh side so I used my polarizing filter and stopped down to f7.1, a full stop less than I would normally have shot. Once we returned to Fourth Cliff, the ladies at the office were most helpful in directing us to the local bait shop ( it seems Carl may have not been using what the fish were wanting yesterday ) as well as a recommendation to Polcari’s Bridgewaye Inn and restaurant for lunch. After three visits to the seaside, I finally got my swordfish, grilled over rice with onions, peppers and zucchini. Carl had a fried fishermen’s platter with oysters and scrod instead of the usual clams and cod. If you’re ever down this way, I highly recommend the restaurant, the view, the food and the prices were all within reason.

No comments: