Monday, May 14, 2007

Weather Woes

Over the years, I've come to terms with the fact that I cannot control the weather. Even when I consult the experts, my plans sometimes need to be put on hold. This is one of those days when the gloomy skies have turned against me and the mirrored glass like surface of rain puddles dance with droplets. On Sunday, the weather was perfect. We headed off to hike into Champney Falls but when we arrived at the trailhead, the parking area was alive with activity. I should have expected it. The weather was cool and those miserable little black flies haven't woken up yet. When they do, their appetite will be voracious. Anyway, The types of photos that I wanted didn't include dozens of hikers and we didn't have the time to wait for the area to clear. I had to be at Artistic Roots in Campton for 2:00. Our next stop was Sabbaday Falls, a short and very scenic walk into a narrow gorge filled with a fast moving waterfall that takes an abrupt 90 degree turn mid flow. A sign tells of a basalt dike against the right side of the gorge that prevents it's erosion. At the base of the falls is a naturally formed bowl or basin that has been carved over time by the force of the water. Here, in the shadows of the steep rock walls, there is still ice. It has the look of decaying flesh, rotting and imperfect. The warmth of summer will eventually claim it's victory and the ice will vanish, adding it's water to the torrents. Still, it's there, for now, and provides a chill to the air. The walk is relaxing and there were few other visitors to be kept safely on the path by heavy railings. One of these days, I may muster up enough nerve to cross these barriers to get an unobstructed image, one that the average visitor won't have.

No comments: