Thursday, September 13, 2007

Finding Balance

It's something I struggle with every year at this time. We've just come through a long hot dry summer with revenue from events being similar to a world class roller coaster. Even the activity at my web site was "sitting in the shade relaxing". But, when the foliage begins to turn, so does the emphasis and earnestness, if you will, on my patrons. It's like someone threw a switch and now, they can see a need to purchase for their favorite brother in Colorado or daughter whose gone off to college. Whether it's a Christmas gift or for some other special occasion, it doesn't matter. What it does mean is now, when I want to get out and enjoy Mother Nature's final and fantastic collage of color, I get busy. I've seen it happen every year and no matter how I approach this time of year, with whatever meticulous amount of planning, I always get caught short. In fact, just last night I had a call from a lady who visited my exhibit in Dublin this past weekend. She was kicking herself because she hadn't made a purchase and was now calling to order my "Dream" collage, a four seasons collection of images of the Old Man Of The Mountains. I told her I would be happy to fill her order just as soon as I became restocked with that type of mat. I knew it was going to happen. I could see it coming and I still let myself get too low on stock. This goes for the paper that I use, the foam core to back the images and even my frames are at an all time low. More on this subject later. The lady was all smiles and will happily wait for her new photograph. I will survive this sudden rush as I have done other years, but, wouldn't it be nice if I could figure out a way to balance everything out and be able to enjoy this year's fall extravaganza. It should be brilliant!

No comments: