Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 11- Randall, MN to Sioux Falls, SD

Our departure time of 10:00 was met although as much as I want to see this beautiful country, it was hard saying goodbye to my friend and her family. It’s been 5 years since we last saw them. Who knows how long it will be until we see them again. I am continually amazed at the farms and fields we drive by today. When I think of Minnesota, I think of thick forests, lots of wild animals and 10,000 lakes. We were amazed by the miles of corn and other crops mixed in with countless herds of cattle, sheep and horses. The county roads we drove took us past a most unusual church with a silo attached and in the stubble of last years corn fields we observed some tall reddish brown birds with I think are cranes, what kind I’ll have to figure out later. We came near to Walnut Grove, homestead of Laura Ingalls. I guess I should have investigated our route a little more closely. It might have been interesting to see what the town has done to honor her. About 20 miles from the MN-SD border we came upon the most amazing site. As far as the eye could see, in both directions, were huge wind powered generators harnessing the constant and sometimes quite strong breezes that cruise through the open plains. Although the route we traveled today was long, it certainly wasn’t boring. Gas prices today were at 3.39 a gallon. Our home for the evening is the Wal-Mart in Sioux Falls. We obliged them by purchasing the weeks groceries, thereby paying for camping fee for the night and then some. Smart fellows, those CEOs who allow RV parking.

No comments: