Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 4- Travel to St Ignace, MI

We were on the road early today headed to what I hoped would be a marvelous photo excursion to Mackinac Island. We travel all day instead of stopping half way which put us a day ahead of schedule. The trip, for the most part, was uneventful. We stopped a couple of times, to stretch our legs, have lunch and fill the tank but otherwise kept moving until Carl realized he could drive the entire leg. I was skeptical. We called the Tiki RV Park and they said come on up. UP being the Upper Peninsular of Michigan. I took a few shots as we traveled but I can tell you there were times when I thought we were back in NY because the view out the window was mile after mile of farm lands and growing crops. Other times we could have imagined we were still in NH on Rte 93, a mixture of conifers and evergreens hugging the two lane highway with little or no travel accompanying us. One note of interest, we passed a sign that stated “ You have just crossed the 45th parallel, half way between the equator and the North Pole”. Now I’ve been to the Equator when we went to Belize but I doubt I will ever get to the North Pole. The wind was really strong and we both had some concern when the signs warned of severe cross winds on the Mackinac Bridge but our concerns were unfounded. The view from the bridge was of water as far as the eye could see, Lake Michigan to our left and Lake Huron to our right. It’s cool and quite breezy at our campsite but the park is quiet and our home away from home is cozy. Both Carl and I were pronouncing the name of St Ignace differently so I asked our campground host which was correct. Turns out neither of us was. It’s pronounced as if it were spelled St Ignis.

1 comment:

Tom Viola said...

Sorry, Val... but the Equator does not pass through Belize. You'd have to go much further south: Brazil and Ecuador.