Thursday, June 14, 2007

The "Bear" Facts

A constant theme among visitors to my exhibit last weekend was how prevalent the opportunity to see and photograph bears had become. In fact, several visitors even had images to show me on their digital cameras or cell phones (never thought I'd use that word while talking about photography). It turned out to be one of those days where I felt conflicted. On the one hand, I was looking at some wonderful opportunities captured by enthusiastic viewers and on the other hand, I was tent bound at an event designed to sell my work. In hindsight, I can't say I would have preferred to be out in the woods waiting for such an encounter. Several years ago, I came to the realization that in order to be successful in my business venture, I would have to self promote. I do that by meeting and greeting the public to show them my work, answer questions and generally be an ambassador for the craft I've chosen to practice. It means long hours of smiling (that comes easy) under less than ideal conditions, (heat, cold, rain, wind and even a snow flurry or two) while visitors wander through to view my work. It's all worth it, though, even replying to the occasional odd comments that make me shake my head. I often tell people how there are three elements to a good image; right place, right time and have camera. This means the camera should be on the seat and turned on at all times. I didn't follow my own advice yesterday when a bear walked casually across the road in front of my truck. By the time I stopped, unzipped the camera case, turned on the camera and began to focus, he was inside the tree line. So, here is my latest animal image. This bear wasn't going any where.

No comments: