Sunday, May 16, 2010

Down Day

Those gathering clouds I mentioned from last night didn’t go away and I wasn’t thrilled about finding myself in the Everglades in a small boat during a storm. We passed on a small Manatee Watch today but we may go another day. By late afternoon, the rain was falling fast and hard but their wasn’t any lightening show. Oh, and I was called by Security about 9:30 this evening because my drapes were open. The Loggerhead turtles are coming ashore to lay their eggs on beaches all over SW Florida. The beach out in front of our resort is no exception. Marco Island has passed a "blackout" ordinance from May through September. Lights on shore confuse the turtles who exhaust themselves during the ordeal of laying their eggs. In this confused state, they sometimes mistake the resort lights for the moon and head inland instead of returning to the ocean. And, of course, I complied with the request as soon as I was off the phone.

No comments: