Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Local Cuisine

The weather is beginning to change, so the locals say. The skies today are mostly cloudy and the breeze has freshened from the north. We can see rain off in the distance but it never seems to come close to shore. The air is so thick I think you can actually see it. Anyway, I’m feeling lazy and just satisfy myself with taking a couple of photos at the resort and doing some laundry. That’s another way of saying I stayed in the air conditioned 4 bedroom villa we have here. We decided to eat lunch at the resort today and Roti is on the menu, a misnomer because there is only every one main plate offered. Your choice usually comes in as the protein. Most places offer their plates with either chicken, fish, or goat. So we have the Roti at the resort restaurant. It comes disassembled. The soft “bake” is warm in a towel covered basket while on the plate is my chicken, a chickpea blend, some cubed and boiled potatoes, and something called amkhar which I never did find out what it was. It was hard, fibrous and I didn’t particularly care for the flavor. I chose the chicken while Carl had the goat and again there were bones but at least this time we could pick them out and then put together our Roti.

No comments: