Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"Leaving On A Jet Plane"

To paraphrase Peter, Paul and Mary, " All my bags are packed. I'm ready to go..." Tomorrow is the big day. We head for Boston by way of Concord to catch the bus. We'll stay one night in the big city of Boston ( no slander intended here. Whitefield is a population of 2,500 in the summer, 1,000 in the winter if you count dogs ) and then catch a 5:30AM plane out of Logan bound for the beautiful and sometimes very humid island of Tobago. It's only 11 degrees above the equator so I have packed my 300+ sunblock and every piece of clothing I can find that will just barely keep me covered and not once ounce of thread more than I need. Tobago is a deeply religious island and topless even if I was prone to that sort of thing IS NOT AN OPTION. We'll spend a wonderful week there, hunting for waterfalls, sunrises and sets and anything else that attracts my camera lens. That's the idea behind going there. And if you believe that one, I have some swamp land in FL I will sell you cheap. The truth of the matter is, it's a beautiful tropical paradise with bath water warm oceans to swim in, gorgeous scenery and an exchange rate to die for. One US dollar will get you $6.00 Tobagon. This is a place where gas is about $1.35 per gallon and you can buy a beer at a hotel bar for about $1.28. Of course the people who serve you that beer make about $80.00 per week. And Paradise wouldn't be worth going to if there wasn't some risk involved. They drive on the left, on roads that would make our cars groan and there is a very real threat of Malaria and Dengue Fever so along with the super sunblock, they recommend a bug repellent on steroids. One last thing about "Paradise", they let you in with no trouble at all, stay as long as you like but you must show a return ticket and when you leave you must pay a departure fee. In this case, its TT100 or about $16.00 US. I plan on posting every day with a new and even more beautiful photo than the last, but truthfully, I haven't a clue if they have internet there so I will post blogs when I can and date them when i wrote them and not when they actually got posted. We'll see you all at the end of May in North Conway for our first show of the season. It's going to be a good one, I can just tell.

No comments: