Friday, July 29, 2011

Carl's Edition Of The Blog.

We have been in Seward Since Monday. I went fishing yesterday Friday the 29 th. Up at 530, over to the front desk to pay for the trip and get a boat assignment. Arrived at the boat around 730 and ten minutes later were off to the fishing area. Everybody is wearing sweatshirts and jackets over them, cause it's still chilly out. A 3 hour boat ride the Ocean is very calm and by the time we get to the fishing grounds, its tee shirt weather. No fish here so we moved after 30 minutes. Second spot no fish here. Third spot it's now 1 PM and we are on the halibut. The limit is 2 per person, plus what ever other fish you catch. Ended up with 2 halibut and a cod. All 15 of us on the boat got our limit on the halibut. Three hours back to the dock, then back to the resort. One of the deckhands came with us to the Fish House at the resort. She proceeded to fillet all the fish for those who wanted her to do it for them, for tips. Some guys chose to do there own, not me no clue how to fillet fish. So now everybody from 4 boats has claimed there fish and there is still a Silver Salmon maybe a 4 pounder, I ask around nobody claims it, into my tote it goes. Were having salmon for lunch tomorrow. What we are going to do with the rest of the fish that the girl filleted for me? No idea yet, so into the deep freezer at the resort it goes to get very cold after we portion it up and seal it in vacuum seal bags that they just happen to sell at the front desk. My arms are sore from reeling cause the Halibut swim at the bottom over 2 hundred feet below the boat. It's a lot of reeling with a 2 pound weight and the fish. Valerie went shopping while I was fishing, but she still spent less than I did for the fishing trip. The resort charges you based on your rank for the accommodation and for the fishing. The Colonel next to me paid 12 dollars more than me. On Monday we move to the Kenai area for three days. On Tuesday we are flying across the Cook inlet to bear and salmon country for the day. Valerie is hoping to get some good Grizzly Pics and I will fish for Salmon from the boat, not on shore with the bears.

No comments: