Saturday, July 30, 2011

Day 45- Not Much To Tell (small SPOILER ALERT )

Every trip everywhere has one of these days. You wake up tired, not much is planned and so you lie around with not much ambition. It happens every time and to day was it. We watched a couple of movies on television that we’d already seen. I did a web search for a movie theater in town and found one of Adams Street. They were playing “Cowboys And Aliens” so we hit the 6:30 show. Carl opted for hot dogs at the movie followed by popcorn. The movie had plenty of action, the acting seemed natural and at no time did I get the feeling “this has been done before” even though the basic plot of bad guys taking hostages and the good guys getting them back has been done to death. When James Bond and Indiana Jones team up, things have got to work out, don’t they? We’ve been in Alaska for about two weeks and it’s just now hitting me how we don’t have to roll up the sidewalks at 9:00PM because it’s about to get dark. Still, I have this mindset that we can’t go for a hike after the movie for that reason. It’s actually kind of cool but just as I know it won’t get dark any time soon, I also know these people pay for this extra in spades come October through May. And I can’t even begin to thin how being dark from 3:00 in the afternoon until 11:30 the next day will do to a person. No wonder Alaska has one of the highest incidences of alcoholism and suicide rates in the country. Would I recommend the movie? I think the movie was fast paced with few down moments and it was good lighthearted entertainment. It did have a fair amount of bang, bang, shoot ’em up gore but it wasn’t over the top. But whatever you do, please don’t call me Gene Siskall or Roger Ebert.

No comments: