Saturday, January 24, 2009

Homeward Bound

Here I sit in one more airport, Seattle, this time. We have hours to kill before our flight to Boston which will arrive early tomorrow morning. We are treated to a scene that is played out in airports all over the world. The plane at the gate closes it’s doors without two of it’s passengers. Their names are called over the loudspeaker, imploring them to arrive at the gate or their seats will be forfeit. The jet way is retracted and the plane begins it’s preflight course of actions. Suddenly, the passengers arrive and boy are they surprised and upset. The plane sits just beyond the glass for several minutes while it gets it glycol coating of deicer. There are tense conversations between airline representatives and the passengers. Radio calls are made to the cockpit. Eventually, to my surprise, the jet way snakes back out for just a minute and the two unhappy travelers slide onto the plane and then they along with all the other passengers disappear into the night. I’m amazed. If that had been me, late to the gate, I’d be scratching my head right now trying to get a different connection.

No comments: