Saturday, May 22, 2010

Atlantis, Paradise Island and Nassau

Our shore excursion tickets haven’t arrived yet. A few days ago, we went on line and put in a reservation for a clear view kayak tour in Nassau. I figured they would have delivered them to our stateroom so on our way to breakfast, we stopped by the shore excursion desk. Now, I’ve already told Carl my leg is hurting from all the stairs we climbed yesterday and as much as I was looking forward to the see through kayaks, I really wasn’t unhappy when they said they had no reservation for us. We spent the first part of the day poolside, in the sun. Of course, I smeared on the old +30 sun block. It feels like I took a bath in crude oil but, on the other hand, I spent more than a half hour in the sun and didn’t burn. After lunch, Carl decided to lay down while I took a shower and washed my hair. He slept 2 hours and after I dried off, I read some of my book, “The Vampire LeStat’. It’s the second in as series of 10 books by Anne Rice that make up the Vampire Chronicles. From the stern of the ship, we have a beautiful view of Atlantis, the billion dollar complex that used in one of last season’s Amazing Race legs. We couldn’t see the pyramid and the 60 foot waterslide but we know it’s out there. Just before we leave Nassau, there is a brief shower. It’s just enough to dampen the deck but the clouds sort of get in my way for sail away photos. I take them anyway. Paradise Island has a lighthouse at the very tip, the entrance to the harbor. I can see why. It’s really rocky out there and since it’s the windward side of the island, the breakers really pound in there. Tomorrow, our port of call is Great Stirrup Cay, the NCL privately owned island. We’ve decided to just get off the boat and wander around looking for something to take pictures of. There’s 2200 people on this boat. I wonder if I can actually find a sport or two with no people in my viewfinder.

No comments: