Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 22- In Glacier

This morning was cold! I don’t know why. We’re at altitude and the mountains still have deep snow and glaciers on them. I had left every window in the camper open because it was unbearably hot last night so Carl jumped out of bed to get half of the windows while I grabbed the other half. Then it was back to sleep for a couple more hours. Carl didn’t want to run the generator at 8:00AM because our neighbors from VT have small children and they weren’t up yet. Instead of making coffee with the Keurig, I boiled water, in a pan on the gas stove, for tea. Breakfast was pancakes, banana for me and blueberry for Carl. I made a few blog notes and then Carl decided we should pack up to move to our reserved site for the next two nights. He can’t do anything about calling AAA until we are settled. Our luck was a little better today because the people on site A5 had checked out by 10:00 so we could move right in. The Rangers have been very helpful and notified the West Glacier gate there would be a wrecker coming. Carl set the generator up for me before he left. Now, he and the truck have gone off for who knows how long. He took his cell phone so he could keep me updated. I’ve made a slow cooker lasagna and at the stroke of 12:00 I cranked the generator over. The lasagna takes three hours but I can only have electricity for two. I may push it for an extra 15 minutes and then the residual heat should finish it off nicely. I’ll keep my fingers crossed. I also took the time to vacuum the carpet in the bedroom area and under the dining room table. I don’t know what I was thinking, but even taking our shoes off at the door, it had gotten really bad in only three weeks. Can’t imagine how it would look after ten. Before we left Helena, we had purchased a convertible stick model by Eureka that you can attach a handle to for larger jobs. I wasn’t expecting much for $35.00 but I‘m happy to say it did an okay job. When my two hours of “civilization” ends, I’ll take a walk with my camera and see what I can find.

No comments: