Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 31- To The Arctic Circle

Well, not exactly. It’s been raining most of the night, the sky is very gray and the Dalton is no place to drive in lousy weather if you don’t have a job to do. So, we’re scrambling to find something to do until the weather lifts. We decide to get caught up on a few maintenance issues that have developed over the past 4 weeks. I did a web search and found Arctic RV Parts and Service. They were able to help us with spare keys, water filters, bumper plugs and new sink strainers. We ended up at Lowe’s for the aerators for the sink and bathroom faucets. Then it was on to lunch at Pizza Hut. I’d been really wanting pizza for some time. Carl took a nap, I transferred all my blog entries into face book because for some reason, they are not importing as they should. I framed and hung photos of our grandchildren on the same wall as the clock and the monitoring station. The sun finally burned it’s way through the thick high gray ceiling but by then, Carl wasn’t in the mood to head off. I’ve just check MSN for tomorrow’s weather and it looks dry with some sun. Since my XM radio isn’t able to access the satellite from this latitude, I burned all my laptop music onto a couple of Cds. That should help eliminate those long quiet spells we seem to have. After 41 years of marriage, there is only so much to talk about. While we were out, I spotted a Carlile Transportation truck delivering to the store next door. They are the main firm behind “Ice Road Truckers” on the Discovery Channel. We also observed something really interesting. Some parking lots have electric outlets on them. You see, 8 out of 10 vehicles up here are equipped with engine block heaters. The average winter temperature is way below -30. I remember when that was the big think in the North Country at home but I’d never seen store provide for their customers and employees like this. The way I figure it, either you have the block heater, a heated garage or you are calling a tow truck for a battery boost often.

No comments: